2.09.2012

Was someone chasing you?

Ahh...yes.  The famous question.  Why would you run?  Who was chasing you? I will initiate this blog with a brief treatise on why I started running.  There are two reasons, really.


1. To be the person I've always wanted to be
2. To be the person I want my son to think I am

The first is grounded in an acute self awareness.  I'm a grump.  I'm impatient.  I'm short tempered.  I'm a heady blend of dorky optimist and fearful cynic.  This is not who I want to be.  I want to be one of those calm, grounded people.  The person that doesn't let others get to them, that can have fun in a traffic jam, that doesn't spend more time wondering why "things/people/etc" aren't the "way they should be". Running helps me get to this goal - I'm not always exactly that person, but after a good run I feel like that person.  I find a really good run can actually carry me a couple of days.  Those who love and know me can tell when I haven't been able to run in awhile.  My husband will actually look at me and say "I'll watch Dex, you go for a run".  He doesn't have to tell me twice - I'm usually out the door with my shoes on by the end of "I'll watch Dex".

Speaking of the boy...that's the other reason I run.  I love the idea of him thinking of mommy as a runner. I CANNOT wait for him to start running with me.  He's already ran two races - kids dashes - and loved every minute of it.  More than once he's looked up at me and yelled "YAY RUNNING!"  Even if it doesn't translate into running, I want Dex to grow up thinking that exercise is just a normal part of a daily/weekly routine. He doesn't have to run...he just has to move.


My love of running goes even deeper, I ruminate on it every time my feet hit the pavement.  I'll leave it with that for now and allow the love affair to reveal itself over time.

Keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment